- VLC Player is light and plays almost all types of media.
- HandBrake can convert your video from any format to any format. Great for converting your video to iPod or PSP formats.
- Picasa from Google is an excellent photo management tool. It also supports some nice editing tools and allows you to publish to your web album. You can also directly upload your pictures to a Printing service like snapfish directly from Picasa.
- FileZilla FTP Client
- TreeSize Free can tell you all about your disk usage. Its a invaluable tool when you are trying to figure out why your 1 TB hard drive is getting full.
- Virtual CloneDrive virtually mounts your ISO file. I have used other tools to do this before. But this one has the cleanest implementation. Besides their logo is cool!
- ImageBurn is a lightweight CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application. Simple and very easy to use.
- 7-Zip is a file archiver and I install this as a default in all my PC’s.
- Notepad++ is a text editor with tabs. Highly Recommended.
- Microsoft Security Essentials is free anti-virus and malware protection suite. It does not have the fancy bells and whistles the other paid for commercial products have and that's why I like it.
- Windows Live Writer supports a wide range of blogging platforms like Blogger, WordPress, Windows Live Spaces, SharePoint blog, TypePad etc., And from personal experience its heaps better and comfortable than the Bloggers browser based UI. Most of the blogs from this blog are done using the Windows Live Writer. Highly Recommended.
Would love to hear your favourite free or open source tools you like on your PC.